Tuesday, April 12, 2005

 

It's Tuesday Again

Hi All,

Here I am. Working on my blog again! I just finished broadcasting the Spurs game! I was happy to see that we did not go into another overtime! Two overtimes in two days (Sat and Sunday) were too many for me! And Manu did great! But we are not surprised about his performance.

Today, I spent much of the day getting ready for my class tomorrow. I also had a chance to work on a TESOL presentation for next year and to read a couple of theses....Busy day, but what's new?

I said that I would be writing about Argentine music. When I lived in Argentina, I used to listen to music from Argentina, GB, and the US. Now that I live here, I tend to listen to more Argentine music. But I listen to music on my way to work. My favorite groups are Almendra (or anything that Spinetta had done). Here is a link to Almendra's history: http://www.dospotencias.com.ar/rebelde/almendra.htm

Here is a link to Spinetta's page: http://www.laspinetta.com.ar/

Spinetta, while he was a member of Almendra, wrote some of the most beautiful lyrics in Argentine rock. Here are the words to "Muchacha Ojos de Papel."

Muchacha, ojos de papel, adónde vas, quédate hasta el alba.Muchacha, pequeños pies,no corras más, quédate hasta el alba.
Sueña un sueño despacito entre mis manos,hasta que por la ventana suba el sol.
Muchacha, piel de rayón,no corras más, tu tiempo es hoy. Y no hables más, muchacha, corazón de tiza, cuando todo duerma, te robaré un color.
Muchacha voz de gorrión, adónde vas, quédate hasta el día. Muchacha, pechos de miel,no corras más, quédate hasta el día.
Duerme un poco y yo entretanto construiréun castillo con tu vientre hasta que el sol, muchacha, te haga reír hasta llorar...

Another beautiful song by el flaco, or a song that I love is "Fermin." Fermin is about a boy who lives in an orphanage. It's a sad song but a beautiful one.
Las manos de Fermín
giran y él también,
gira y da más vueltas.
Pobrecito Fermín
quiere ser feliz
gira y da más vueltas.
En el hospicio le darán
agua, sol y pan
y un ave que guarde su nombre.
En el hospicio ve morir
y antes de callar
el ave vendrá desde el mal.
Lo llevará
hasta la mal.
Hoy tus sueños Fermín
saben a aserrín
giran y dan vueltas.
Hoy tu tristeza al sol
quiere ser real
aunque no lo creas.
En el hospicio le darán
agua, sol y pan
y un ave que guarde su nombre.
En el hospicio le dirán
pronto ha de morir
la noche se hará su final.
Y el ave aquel
lo llevará.
"Fermin se fue a la vida,
no sé cuando vendrá.."

Spinetta has gone through different phases. In the late 60's and early 70's, when I was a little girl, he wrote the beautiful songs I posted above. This is the Almendra period. All of this songs were like poems, beautiful poems about love, lost love, and friendship. In the 70's, he went through a hard rock period. This is the Pescado Rabioso period. While I liked Pescado, I did not like it as much as Almendra. Here is a link to the history of Pescado Rabioso. http://www.rock.com.ar/bios/0/421.shtml From this period, I remember "El blues de Cris." Cris was Spinetta's girlfriend. And he dumped Cris in front of the world by writing the song. Not too good...I also remember La Cantata de los Puentes Amarillos....

In the late 70's, Spinetta moved on to Invisible, a trio, he formed with Machi and Pomo (the drummer). The words were poetic again. Although Machi and Pomo made for a good combination because they were hard rock musicians....My favorite songs from this time are Durazno Sangrante. Here are the words:

Temprano el durazno del árbol cayó
Su piel era rosa dorada del sol
Y al verse en la suerte de todo frutal
A la orilla de un río su fe lo hizo llegar
Dicen que en este valle
Los duraznos son de los duendes
Pasó cierto tiempo en el mismo lugar
Hasta que un buen día se puso a escuchar
Una melodía muy triste del sur
Que así le lloraba desde su interior:
"Quién canta es tu carozo
Pues tu cuerpo al fin tiene un almaY si tu ser estrella
Será un corazón el que sangre
Y la canción que escuchas
Tu cuerpo abrirá con el alba"
La brisa de enero a la orilla llegó
La noche del tiempo sus horas cumplió
Y al llegar el alba el carozo cantó
Partiendo al durazno que al río cayó
Y el durazno partido
Ya sangrando está bajo el agua

Here is a link to the history of Invisible http://www.dospotencias.com.ar/rebelde/spinetta.htm

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?