Tuesday, May 03, 2005

 

The Power of the Internet

Today, I want to focus on the power of the Internet. Clarin, the Argentine paper, published an article titled "A Manu lo protegen" (Manu is protected--by his fans (http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/05/03/deportes/d-05801.htm) . The focus of the article is on how Manu's fans, from Argentina and the US, used Manu Ginobili's forum, and specifically one thread: Manu no es Barrichello--http://manuginobili.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19512
to complain about George Karl's statements about Manu Ginobili and to, one more time, complain about Pop's decision to play Manu off the bench, when he has been his most consistent player.

Why am I focusing on this topic? Imagine me, living and working in Los Angeles, and posting a message under the thread and then reading my posting being quoted in an article by Clarin (today, 5/3/05) in Argentina. And imagine my father, interested in all sports and particularly in basketball, reading Kuki being quoted by Clarin in Argentina today. This is an excellent example of the power of the Internet. When you keep wondering: Who is going to be reading my postings? Who is going to be reading my blog? The answer is "You never know."

I have always been careful about what I post on the Web and the language I use on the Web. It's not a question of cursing or not cursing. It's a question of how much I display about myself and how I present myself. I only have one nick and I display myself as I am... Now, if you show anonymity, then you may not need to worry about these issues...

But the point that I am trying to make is not be careful. What I am trying to say is: The Internet is not this abstract thing that we talk about when discussing issues related to teaching and learning L2. The power of the Internet is real. Language learners will be using your pages...OK... This is it for now! Cheers, Kuki

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?